[ilds] (no subject)

andy nampilot at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 08:19:55 PDT 2007

gentlemen

and ladies, may i presume?

may this gentle day greet you with warmth

a few rambling thoughts of a saturday morning.

my purpose in being here is to learn.

i heartlily encourage all list members to question my comments, criticize without fear, but most importantly, correct me where you feel my thinking is in error.

i would like to offer a few thoughts for your consideration.

firstly, in reference to durrell's question, why do we continue to hurt each other?

ordinary people achieve their destinies through life.

artists through imagination.

by reworking their realities.

so why do we continue to hurt each other?

we are artists.

you cannot know something unless you break it.

and that which we break, we always love the most.

moving on, a question was asked, what were these four...really....to durrell?

each of you writes.

what were your characters to you?

amalgams.

made into demigods.

now in reference to the subject of judaisim, i would offer it as a device durrell used to centerpiece the kabbalah, his key to the clockwork of time, which incidentally, is the core reason i joined this group--to unravel ld's quantum theory of literature, so i assume we will get to that in due time--but a more sublte reaons ld centerpieced judiasim was to work off a plethora of unreconciled conflicts inherited as the legacy of two jewish wives to one gentle gentile.

lastly, i feel dickens was the greatest child abuser in literary history.

i use a child in my novel.

guaranteed to draw tears.

especially if an oprhan.

or worse.

the cuckoo bastard.

so being an unemotional meatcutter

i cleave durrel's use of the child

from all emotion

and reduce it to a very effective literary device

viz, a lone man on a lone island with a lone child, unnamed, all three cold, him feeding the fire, of his heart and mind and reader, with an opening that cannot fail to touch the coldest heart.

i charge him with wanton over sentimentality.

comment vous?

best to all
andy