[ilds] RG Justine 1.7 -- why should we hurt one another?

Jim Nichols jnichols at nctv.com
Sat Apr 21 05:13:47 PDT 2007

Just a note.

      This is Brother Ass speaking, right?  And he condescends unthinkingly to the 'ordinary people' whom he desperately doesn't want to be like.  Darley is hardly a well of philosophical truth here.  He's a young, inexperienced boy who even now needs to grow up and is only partially there at the book's end.   That is why he runs to 'silence' at book's end.  He's scared.  He needs the courage of Clea very much.  He's still very unsure of himself and very afraid of what he's experienced.  Surely no fully mature artist would condescend to his subject with such self-gratifying, maudlin paternalism.   Ordinary people may be ordinary, but their life experience is still profound, and the artist who fails to realize that loses the very center of his art.

    But OH, those 'ordinary, non-artists whom he has met; they do have a life about them, don't they?

                                                                                                                                                            J N