[ilds] RG Justine 1.7 -- Waiting and fragmentation

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 20 19:57:31 PDT 2007

Bill:

Thanks for that link.  I have had a quick look at it and will read it
through later.  It does seem interesting.  Durrell uses sets of objects
throughout his writing, brimming with potency, in Justine the key, the
rings, etc.

I was thinking of fragmentation as a break up among intimates but also
as an inner fragmentation.  The intimates are few; by this point (1.7)
we have only 'the four of us' and Balthazar, and as 'Darley'
specifically refers to Melissa and Justine not offering any remission,
I think of the fragmentation, outer and inner, involving those four --
four who are in a sense one.

By the way, earlier about Capodistria, I have chased up a nagging
recollection and yes, I find in 1.17 that he is 'obscurely related to
Justine', which could make him Jewish (but elsewhere I think he may be
described as Greek, and mentioning the name to any Greek would
immediately conjure up the first president of Greece).  That being
said, I think that description -- 'obscurely related to Justine' -- is
not meant to tell us anything about his ethnicity, rather about
propinquity, a soupcon of incest.

:Michael