[ilds] RG Justine 1.7 -- why should we hurt one another?

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Apr 20 18:59:57 PDT 2007

It is just not clear to me either, Bill.  I can believe in Michael's
gloss.  It works with its terms.  But I hesitate to say that is all.
The question of suspending one's disbelief for some sentences and not
others seems "out of kilter" from the retrospective skepticism we are
asked to cast upon the narrator of /Justine /once we reach /Balthazar/.
Could someone who understood so little about his life and lovers and
friends really be expected to hold authority?

Again, as I said, it is terrifically hard to "hear" what we are supposed
hear in Darley when Balthazar or Pursewarden are not nearby.  I end up
taking their roles as a reader.

"Waits" I take to mean "awaits discovery by the artist."

I also still am puzzling over the question "why should we hurt one
another?"  I don't hear the artist as excluded from that.  The preceding
lines are so cumbered with heady notions of the artist.  I hear instead
that the struggle to face down destiny carries costs that "ordinary
people" may not be ready to pay, though if they fall into the
gravitational field of the poet as his family, his friend, or his
lovers, they may be hurt.  The cost.  If we must appeal to"real  life,"
readings through LD's biography would support that, I think.  And the
child.  And the child.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University