[ilds] RG Justine 1.7 -- why should we hurt one another?

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri Apr 20 11:44:09 PDT 2007

>>     For us artists there awaits the joyous compromise through art
>>     with all that wounded or defeated us in daily life; in this way,
>>     not to evade destiny, as the ordinary people try to do, but to
>>     fulfil it in its true potential--the imagination.  Otherwise why
>>     should we hurt one another?  (1.7)
>>
>  But why are we "willing to hurt each other?" Because artists achieve
> their potential? Because artists achieve their destiny and ordinary
> people try to evade theirs?

Yeah, that last part, the question, is the tough part.  What is its
relation to the rather grandiose statements our narrator is tossing
about?  And how does the reference to violence connect with the fear and
need to protect children?  Cf. the posting on the deleted lines ending
this same episode.

I enjoy and appreciate in a Paterian sense the seascapes, landscapes,
and solitude with the child the narrator presents to us in 1.1 - 1.9.
But when the narrator turns to opining on life & art. . . .  "/At times
when he is talking like this I have the sudden urge to jump on his back
and ride him frantically up and down Rue Fuad, thrashing him with a
Thesaurus and crying: 'Awake, Moon-calf/!'"

The interaction between the writers in the book--Darley, the
romanticist, and Pursewarden, the ironist--is so necessary.  Not only to
the characters inasmuch as the /Quartet /has quite a bit of
/kunstleroman /about it, but to LD's own balance.  (But then I do
something similar in reading /Ulysses/.  I am increasingly impatient
with Stephen.  Poldy is necessary for the balance.)

Patience. Patience.  Potential for growth.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu