[ilds] RG Justine 1.1-9-- active reading & Justine

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 19 16:35:49 PDT 2007

On Friday, April 20, 2007, at 12:06  am, James Gifford wrote:

> Durrell may limit what his active readers do not have access to, but he
> certainly prompts us to add to and continue the text in the frame he's
> established.

The above statement by James is a good example of what I mean by
Durrell controlling his text and controlling his reader.  Durrell
establishes the frame and the reader inhabits it.  It is not a shared
frame: it is Durrell's frame.  What you do within it, eg looking at
blank pages, is neither here nor there; the important point is that he
has substituted his own reality and has you inside.  That is one of the
most striking things about Durrell's work.

:Michael