[ilds] Justine

Ken Seigneurie kseigneurie at lau.edu.lb
Wed Apr 18 22:46:46 PDT 2007

  [ilds] RG Justine 1.1 and 1.2

  "Capitally, what is this city of ours? " This phrase has been reproduced in the discussions.

  The use of the word "Capitally" - any comments, please?

  Sumantra

      I see no reason not to hear echoes of Durrell's liberal-humanist (i.e. not Marxist) criticism of capitalism in this term, i.e. "Capitally, what is this city of ours? " = "What is this city of ours in terms of capital?" His use of the anti-Semitic topoi around Jewishness fits here as well. These echoes will increase and find their full thematization in Clea, revealing, in my view, a growing (albeit not full avowed) frustration on Durrell's part with the course taken by postwar Britain and the rest of the West.
  Yours,
  Ken Seigneurie
  Assoc. Prof. of English and Comparative Literature
  Lebanese American University - Beirut
  kseigneurie at lau.edu.lb