[ilds] RG Justine 1.8 -- Bleistein and Cohen

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Wed Apr 18 16:45:11 PDT 2007

Judaism is recurrent in the AQ. Justine is the Jewish fox, Balthazar
the Jewish doctor, and so on. If some intrepid soul would make a
complete catalogue of Jewish references, it would be informative. No doubt.

I think it's interesting that it's Melissa who is described as having
"blue-veined phthisic hands." Durrell's altered quotation is almost a
throwaway. Indicating what?  That Melissa is already ill? But why
this abortive quotation? Does it suggest that Melissa is in some ways
like Princess Volupine? That the narrator is like the naive Burbank?

And that "etc." -- what is its meaning? Is it another voice of
silence? Or does Durrell suggest that we should take the rest of
Eliot's poem into account?

WLG
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *