[ilds] Justine

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 13:32:48 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Haag <michaelhaag at btinternet.com>
>Sent: Apr 18, 2007 12:26 PM
>To: ilds at lists.uvic.ca
>Subject: Re: [ilds] Justine

Capitally.  I'll go for a literal meaning of "in essence."  And maybe Durrell "intends" a pun on the "capitulations," as you talk about them in your book.  But that too seems rather odd.  Perhaps the word appears in spoken British English, but it's strange to my American ear.  Durrell's poetic diction is difficult.  Why?  Durrell was very fond of the Elizabethans, and that was a period of great experimentation in English and bending the usage of words.  Shakespeare in particular.  Perhaps he picked up the habit from them.

Bruce