[ilds] Justine

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 18 12:26:21 PDT 2007

Without ever having thought if through at all, and now wondering if it
makes any sense, I have taken Durrell's use of capitally to mean 'in
essence', I suppose via 'point-by-point summary', as from the Latin
'capita', heads.  That also allows for a play on the capitulations,
those agreements initiated by Suleyman the Magnificent with various
European powers governing the affairs of European communities in
Ottoman lands and still applying to Egypt until the Treaty of Montreux
in 1937 terminated their existence twelve years hence.

:Michael