[ilds] RG Justine 1.7 -- the child

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Apr 17 20:00:52 PDT 2007

Bill reminds us that

> Some time ago, Lyn Goldman commented caustically on that "Of course."
> If it's Melissa's baby fathered by Nessim, if it is,  why in the name
> of all that's rational would the narrator call her Justine? Why not
> call her Melissa in memory of her mother?

"Of course" I was playing the demiurge's advocate in the original
posting.  I think that LD is presenting his readers with an early
challenge against their comfortable assumptions--moral or rational--in
begging the question "who else?"  I think that if I pretend not to hear
LD as provocateur in this moment then I am not appreciating the edginess
of /Justine/--1957 or 2007.  Also note the sick men to the whore with
her snatches of song to the boys stirring uneasily at their backgammon
to Melissa dusted with the pollen of other men's kisses--more assaults
on the little mind of "Lovely Thérèse."  Are you up to this?  Can you
handle this?

"Who else?"  A question mark, once opened, is damned hard to close.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu