[ilds] RG Justine 1.1-1.9 - 'of course'

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue Apr 17 19:30:47 PDT 2007

I believe I can see the cycles that Michael is discovering in the text.
But--silly me--even artful retrospective reading cannot erase the
initial pause and consideration evoked by naming the child of one lover
after the lover for whom that first lover was left.  Ahhh.  But then "of
course" I am not supposed to know that yet. . . .

On the one hand, I find the narrator's care for the child touching, a
fit recognition, thoughtfully reciprocating Melissa's caritas.  But then
to name her child Justine?

CLS

--
Wake Forest University