[ilds] RG Justine 1.1-1.9 - 'of course'

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 17 19:04:04 PDT 2007

'I had to come here in order completely to rebuild this city in my
brain' (1.4).  Durrell will rebuild -- not build but rebuild -- this
city of his book.  While he does this he is in possession of the child
-- Melissa's child (1.1).  He will 'of course' name it Justine (1.7).
It will become apparent that there is something cyclical about this,
and already we are being prepared.  For we are told it is winter but
that 'you can feel the inventions of spring'.  We are also told that
city 'used us as its flora' -- which unlike fauna has a cyclical
existence.  The drunken whore shedding snatches of song like petals
(1.3) maintains the flora/cyclical theme; perhaps in one of those great
cycles of history she was heard before, by Antony when he surrendered
the city.  Melissa is dead; Justine is gone (1.5); but they are yet to
come.  'I want them to live again' (1.7).  The child destroys the
papers of the writer who claims to share increasingly the indifference
of the natural world to the constructions of art (1.5) -- but who then
proclaims the significance of his reordered and reworked reality.  Not
a bad beginning at exercising his authority over the reader, of
asserting his command of what we will know, when we will be allowed to
know it, and imposing his own framework of reality.

:Michael