[ilds] (no subject)

M. Erick Ward wardwrites at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 12:05:20 PDT 2007

On "multiple readings:"
  I started Balthazar for the second time last night.  I read the Quartet quickly the first time.  Now, a few years later, and without the support of a wonderful professor, I am reading slowly; and, surprise, comprehending more.

  On "moony:"
  In the opening pages of Balthazar, I was remined of one of the most breathtaking literary effects I've ever experienced: somewhere in the Quintet, we encounter Balthazar, and the instant LD began describing him, I recognized him.  Like you might recognize an old friend by hearing his voice around a corner.  Of all the Durrell moments that stand out in my memory as being startlingly real, this one was perhaps the spookiest.

  Matt Ward
  Baltimore