[ilds] RG Justine 1.4 -- active reading & Justine

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Mon Apr 16 18:17:51 PDT 2007

>"My impression, reading Durrell, is that he is controlling his
>effects to a very high degree, and also controlling his reader."

Michael, if a writer can actually control a reader, how do you
account for multiple readings? After all, novels are words on a page
or on a screen. And the words do not interpret themselves.

I can close the book, but the book can't force me to keep it open. To
prove that, I just closed the four editions of Justine that I have on
the desk before me. Done.

Bill

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *