[ilds] RG Justine 1.4 -- active reading & Justine

Michael Haag michaelhaag at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 16 17:37:02 PDT 2007

My impression, reading Durrell, is that he is controlling his effects
to a very high degree, and also controlling his reader.  That is very
important to him, that he draws the reader in and manipulates him; by
suckering the reader, it validates Durrell's attempt to alter reality.
Durrell is a magician who wants his audience to believe in his
illusions so that he can believe in his illusions.  I do not believe
for a moment that the reader is being thrown back on his own resources
or is being encouraged to see anything that Durrell does not want him
to see.

:Michael