[ilds] RG Justine 1.1 -"NOTE"

Beatrice Skordili bskordil at otenet.gr
Tue Apr 10 13:04:15 PDT 2007

Hi all!
I am very gratified by all these busy posts on _Justine_. I will be forgiven
I hope if I don't participate since the ground you cover is very much within
the purview of my still recent dissertation. I cannot bring myself to go
over my points for the list, though Jamie keeps alluding to some of the
things I wrote in "The Author and the Demiurge," with a view in part perhaps
to entice me into the discussion. I am reading with great interest, however.
    I am writing here to address a minor point in Jamie's post about the
Kavafy translation. I think you are right Jamie that "dreary purlieus" is a
mistranslation of "marasmos"; however--I've looked it up in the two
definitive
Greek dictionaries to make sure--"marasmos" means "wasting," "withering,"
"decline," or "deterioration" without any connotation of place. The line
from Kavafy you are referring to states literally "my mind, how long will it
remain (in this) withering (condition)," but could be construed (with a bit
of imagination) to have a metaphorical sense of place or space as in "my
mind, how long will it stay in(side) this withering (situation)," which is
of course how Durrell gets his "purlieus." For comparison purposes, "Waste
Land" as per Seferis' translation in Greek is "Erimi Hora."
    Great thinking Jamie, but Greek does not seem to bear it out!
Anyway, here are my 2 Greek cents!

I'll keep on reading!

Beatrice

P.S. As for the alliteration "lamp" "limp" (sorry if I'm referring to a
different thread), I have established, I think, a link in my dissertation to
the use Durrell made of hieroglyphics (but this would really be a long
explanation)!