[ilds] RG Justine 1.1 - bisexuality

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:56:12 PDT 2007

And to think, we¹re still only at the epigraphs...

I was very glad to see Michael¹s posting since it strikes a few familiar
notes and confirms some things I¹ve been thinking for a while now.

I won¹t say too much lest someone here is a reader, but a a paper I wrote a
few years ago on Durrell & sexuality (that several here have seen) is now
making the rounds (again...).  In a nutshell, I think the clear labels of
Œbisexual,¹ Œlesbian,¹ Œgay,¹ or Œstraight¹ have less to do with the issue
for Durrell than the general notion of identity itself -- the actual
specific instance or act can stand in for a positive multiplicity or a
self-destructive Œinversion,¹ depending on the scene and what he needs in
the narrative.  As a trope, however, I think it has a great deal to do with
the observations of (and textual experimentations with) identity and
selfhood in general.

I¹ve been puzzled for a while by the combination of bisexuality and
Durrell¹s rejection of the stable ego, or rather, how the titles or names of
various sexualities get bandied about (perhaps not as explicitly as in the
Quintet though) yet increasingly fail to describe anything meaningful about
the characters.  My hunch is that it has less to do with the actual sex in
Justine than it does with the ego and desire.  Rather than bisexuality per
se, their whole identity is subject to revision and development over time.
Pinning down identity and fixing it in place would seem to be the major
transgression.

Does this perhaps contribute to Durrell¹s dislike of duality, as noted by
Michael?  Stable identities require two poles that can swap places but can¹t
coexists.  Durrell¹s game would seem to be challenging the binary itself, as
if to say the division is a false imposition.  The fact of desire is clear,
but to create a binary or duality that defines identity based on the object
of that desire does little to clarify from whence that desire arrives.  And
it does not seem to derive from the Self‹as we are told, ³³the city... used
us as its flora‹precipitated in us conflicts which were hers and which we
mistook for our own.... It is the city which should be judged² (1.1).
Clearly this desire is an imposition from without, and by chasing it, they
all fall into Sade¹s conundrum.  City love leads only to crime -- the only
way out is to Œtalk.¹

Cheers,
James