[ilds] RG Justine 1.1

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun Apr 8 18:42:08 PDT 2007

Charlie asks about the variants "I light a lamp and limp about" and
"I light a lamp and walk about." I wonder if Durrell made the change
from "limp" to "walk" because of the lamp/limp jingle. In any case I
like "limp" because of its suggestion of a wound -- "I mean all who
have been deeply wounded in their sex" (Justine 1.2). The AQ is
replete with the limping wounded, from the one-eyed Scobie to the
one-handed Clea.
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *