[ilds] Bisexuality

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 8 18:15:12 PDT 2007

Michael Haag says Durrell originally wanted "Justine" to be "an investigation of bisexual love."  I accept that.  But I would like to know why.  Not the why of an intellectual exercise or an exercise in literary analysis.  (Michael doesn't think LD was "consistent" in exploring the idea.)  Rather, what led Durrell to choose that subject in the first place?  Was he trying to come to terms with something in his own nature?  Or did he think that he'd hit upon something fundamental in human nature?  Also, Durrell's rejection of the "falseness of either/or," as Michael says, would seem to be another way to stress bisexuality.

Bruce