[ilds] RG Justine 1.1

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat Apr 7 21:48:02 PDT 2007

Thanks to Bill and Jamie for their glosses.  My real interest is with
how the two epigraphs set up a dynamic of questioning and querying, how
they forecast two different sorts of exchanges between author and
audience that remain with us once we begin to encounter the as-yet
unnamed Darley's opening pages.

Look at the audiences imagined by the epigraphs:  Freud imagines an
intelligent, capable listener with whom all of "that" might be
discussed; de Sade, by contrast, condescends to his "lovely Thérèse."
For me, no matter how many years I return to this book as a reader, I
cannot forget how daunting it all was in range of reference and
experience.  Even now, I cannot help feeling that I am cast as LD's
"lovely Thérèse" while at the very same time the book's narrator invites
me to listen in confidence.

A few notes to ponder for those who hold different printings of the text:

* What changes with LD's change of "Spring" to "spring"?
* What changes with LD's change of "limp" to "walk"?

For that last change, I note that LD originally in the BL Justine
typescript had "walk limp" and then returned to "walk" in the later
printings of the text.  Something about the narrator's wounded persona
is changing.

CLS

--
Wake Forest University