[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 2]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 13:09:54 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:53:52 +0200
From: Stephen Tyler <nakedaphrodite at europe.com>
To: lillios at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
Subject: Re: [ILDS] ILDS:  Discussion Group--AQ2. Tyler. Re: planes.

A too-cursory skim through the contents of my inbox caused me to conflate
two LD postings, with the effect that I wrongly implied that our eminent
Russian translator had mistaken 'planes' for 'plains, a blunder which -had
it been actual- would have been worthy of the two expatriate newspaper
publishing sisters (their name eludes me), the (anti)heroines of D's story
'Frying The Flag'. For this, I apologise.

Nevertheless, my point that the ubiquity of plane trees in D's work
invalidates a broader interpretation of the word 'plane', stands. The best
supporting example of this point occurs on the 4th page of Balthazar, where
Darley -in the same setting as at the beginning of Justine- writes 'The
little arbour of oleanders under the planes -this is my writing room'.
(Incidentally, a few pages later, as Darley swims away from the ship which
had unexpectedly brought Balthazar for a brief visit, the latter admonishes
Darley not to 'get caught in the screw'. Can't wait to see what some of our
more inventive friends make of THAT!)

So, while not guilty of so surreal an exercise as translocating her native
steppes (but why not call them 'steps', thereby evoking an extra dimension
of spiritual yearning appropriate to blah blah blah) to the rugged shores of
the Mediterranean, our friend has surely done her readers a service by
restoring D's plane trees to their (semantically) naked beauty.

The kind of joycean/nabokovian/burgessian word play suggested by some
contributors is simply not authentic Durrell, whose poetic genius was more
alchemic than ludic; whose talent for magically evocative combinations of
words was unmatched in the 20th century.

Stephen

PS. I wonder when we'll be apprised of a translation which renders the
phrase in question ('unpacking the great planes') with the meaning of
'unloading a jumbo jet'?