[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 2]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 13:06:24 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:40:40 EDT
From: Theirflosi at aol.com
To: lillios at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu, DURRELL at NEWS.CC.UCF.EDU, ajf-cb at t-online.de
Cc: Theirflosi at aol.com
Subject: [ISO-8859-1] Re: [ILDS] ILDS:  Discussion Group--AQ2[ISO-8859-1]
    .  French.

I agree with Alastair French.   Although Durrell probably intended "plane"
trees, they may not make much arboreal sense on a "bare promontory" on
Cyprus
(although the island does have a "Tree of Idleness," whatever that is).
Durrell goes for poetic effects, and he's certainly creating his own world,
which
entitles him to put "great planes" wherever he wants.

Bruce Redwine

------ End of Forwarded Message