[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 2]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 13:03:27 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Sumantra Nag
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:59:34 -0400
To: <DURRELL at NEWS.CC.UCF.EDU>
Subject: [ILDS] ILDS:  Discussion Group--AQ2.  Nag.

> And I think it's relatively  easy to prove from
> a narrative, stylistic, poetic point of view that
> Justine _ especially the incipit_ was certainly
> not written at random just for money's sake

Absolutely! The final manuscript sent off to the publisher may have been
written in a short time, but critical work on Durrell and the AQ suggests
(as has been mentioned in these exchanges), that he had been working on the
material in _Justine_ for some time. I seem to remember, that _The Book of
the Dead_ was the tentative title of a book which was the precursor to
_Justine_

Sumantra Nag

------ End of Forwarded Message