[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 2]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:59:29 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bruce Redwine
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:40:49 -0400
To: <DURRELL at NEWS.CC.UCF.EDU>
Subject: [ILDS] ILDS:  Discussion Group--AQ2.  Redwine.

Thanks to my Russian colleague in pursuits of things Durrellian.   Glad to
see that I'm not the only one disposed to see "plane" as "plain" in
"ransacking the great planes."   "The breath-taking panorama of the wind
playing with the landscape cut in a cubist manner" expresses my initial
reaction perfectly.

Isabelle Keller has convinced me, however, that the intended meaning is
"plane tree."   I guess one can always argue that Durrell may have been
going for the pun, and I still have problems visualzing a barren landscape
of "bare promontory" with trees on it.    But one has to learn to follow
Durrell's narrative eye which has a great range and is not limited to a
finite spot.

Bruce Redwine

------ End of Forwarded Message