[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 1.1]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:43:17 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Anna Lillios <lillios at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:15:35 -0400
To: <DURRELL at NEWS.CC.UCF.EDU>
Subject: [ILDS] ILDS: Discussion Group--AQ1.  French.

        With regards to the burying of the rings under the hearth
stone, I have found a passage in Stratis Myrivilis's THE MERMAID
MADONNA which could be relavant: "Over there near the fireplace is a
yellow stone that is different from the other floor stones. If you
lift it with a boat hook, you'll find underneath it a brass coffee
tin. Take the cover off and there's  the money." Perhaps this was a
primitive safe for money. rings. etc. That  it  should bring luck to
bury the 'wedding' rings, seems a little unusual, but perhaps it was
a sure way to avoid losing them!
Are there any clues as to which island Darley has escaped to?
*
        Another point which comes to mind is what Nessim means when
he says "'they should help you to support the idea of Justine without
flinching, as I have had to do'" ? [part I / 6th section  (
Faber&Faber  page 19) ]

------ End of Forwarded Message