[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 1.1]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:36:13 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Isabelle Keller
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:10:09 -0400
To: <DURRELL at NEWS.CC.UCF.EDU>
Subject: [ILDS] ILDS: Discussion Group--AQ1.  Keller.

Yes, I think this is an intersting idea, all the more so if we think of
Durrell's afscination for alchemy...in which Gold has a very significant
context. It would be intersting to know if iodine (this one I doubt very
much!), phosphorous and magnesium could be read here as an allusion to the
alchemist's experimental material; in which case, the city would be all the
more fragile as is also the fruit of a complex  and learned combination of
chemical which Darley the apprentice may or may not succeed to manipulate
coherently. However, I would'nt say there is no depth in this tentative
creation: the careful handling od synaesthesia tends to prove the contrary.

Best regards

isabelle keller