[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 1.1]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:30:48 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:52:14 +0200
From: A.J.French & Christine B.
To: Anna Lillios
Subject: justine

        Thinking about much-talked-about lines 'I have not named it
yet. Of course it will be Justine -- who else?' could this not be
understood (here) that Justine will be the one who names it?
        Should it be understood that Darley will (of course) give her
the name Justine, then perhaps he is trying to find someone he loved
in someone he loves, as often is the case.
        Here are some quotes which apply (I think) to this:

'I wish I could cut you off and carry you with me wherever I go,
inside me.' (The Black Book)
'They say we only love our own reflection in the face of others...'
(The Black Book)
'We use each other like axes to cut down the ones we really love.' (Justine)
'There are only three things to be done with a woman. [...] You can
love her, suffer for her or turn her into literature.' (Justine)

A.J. FRENCH

------ End of Forwarded Message