[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 1.1]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:16:04 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:00:14 -0400
From: Alejandro Adams
To: Anna Lillios
Subject: AQ

I signed up to be a part of this mailing list several years ago and am just
gauging its current operability.

In reading over Dr. Lillios' survey of Durrell's fiction, I see an emphasis
on Eastern thought.  In the "Quartet" I got the impression he was using
Nessim and his family to champion the Coptic cause.  Throughout the
"Quartet" there seems to be perhaps more interest in gnostic or otherwise
unorthodox Christianity than there is in archetypally Eastern or Western
thought.

But when I read Durrell I'm so mesmerized by the conflagration of his prose
that I can't be bothered to come away with anything thematic.  Structural,
perhaps, but not thematic.  So I hope someone more thematically inclined
will respond.

Alejandro Adams

------ End of Forwarded Message