[ilds] [RG 2003 Justine 1.1]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:01:59 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:46:56 -0400
From: W.L. Godshalk
To: Anna Lillios
Subject: Justine 1.1 - 1.7: Some comments and questions

(1) In section 7, the nameless narrator notes that he has not yet named the
child (called "it"), but that he will call her "Justine -- who else?"  Why
would he call Melissa's child -- apparently fathered by Nessim (as we later
learn) --  after Melissa's arch-rival?  Is it because the child has
(apparently) been fathered by Justine's husband?  Or is the narrator rather
insensitive?

(2) "We buried the rings Cohen bought for Melissa in the ground under the
hearth-stone, according to the custom of the island" (section 7).  What
"custom" could this be?  Do these islanders always bury the rings of their
ex-lovers' ex-lovers?  Or perhaps children bury their mothers' ex-lovers'
rings?  Anyway, it seems rather kinky.

(3) The narrator writes of "the first great fragmentation" of his maturity
(section 7).  And the first seven sections certainly reflect that
fragmentation.  And, yes, I realize that this is the imitative fallacy. But
does the fragmented style (e.g. the first paragraph of section 3) work well
here?

(4) In section 4, the narrator writes: "Gold, phosphorus, magnesium paper.
Here we so often met."  The "here" may refer to Mazarita."  But the paper?
Tram tickets?

Bill Godshalk
*    W. L. Godshalk
*
*    Professor, Department of English              *
*    University of Cincinnati                                             *
*    Cincinnati OH 45221-0069                   *   Stellar Disorder
*    godshawl at email.uc.edu                                *
*
          *