[ilds] [RG 2003]

James Gifford gifford at ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 6 11:53:49 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Isabelle Keller
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:42:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [ILDS] Sligh and Gifford: Reading Group

Dear Charles and Jamie,

What else is there to say but that this is a grand idea! This would provide
the constant fruitful exchanges we miss, simply because it is so difficult
to find someone who would respond to your ideas on Durrell's texts when most
of us work far away from each other. Moreover, the archives would be
extremely helpful to young researchers trying to find out what's really
going on at the textual level.

So you can count on me (and I also agree on the idea of starting with the
Alex Quartet before tackling more obscure texts.) One query though: would
everyone be kind enough to remember that we in Europe (sorry!!) mostly have
access to the Faber editions...meaning that Dutton page numbers should
perhaps be "translated into Faber"?

___________________________
James Gifford
Department of English
University of Victoria
Victoria, B.C., Canada
http://web.uvic.ca/~gifford

And since this is time for brainstorming, here is another idea I wanted to
share with you long ago : what would you think of an inventory of foreign
PhDs on Durrell, parts of which could be translated and "advertised" on the
listserv so that everybody may have access to non-English dissertations? I
realise this will be time-consuming, but since there is no DSC I feel I'll
have tons of time to kill...

Best wishes and thanks again!

Isabelle Keller