[CaBSSem] Cognition & Brain Sciences Seminar: TODAY @3pm, Chad Williams

Jordana Wynn jordwynn at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 17 10:56:19 PST 2023

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) next meets this afternoon at 3:00pm in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) featuring Chad Williams (Brown University) speaking on "An Open-Source Toolbox to Artificially Increase your Sample Sizes and Reduce the Complexity of Your Data" (abstract below).

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream sessions at

https://uvic.zoom.us/j/81257812980?pwd=VndFY3hueDA2cWl0SXljK0ZSYVhxdz09

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://www.wynnlab.org/cabssem

Hope to see you Friday!

An Open-Source Toolbox to Artificially Increase your Sample Sizes and Reduce the Complexity of Your Data

Our research focuses on making your research easier! In this talk, I will introduce our new toolbox that leverages machine learning to 1) augment datasets by creating synthetic participants and 2) reduce the complexity of data. Specifically, we use Generative Adversarial Networks --- the same technology used to create AI-generated images --- to produce novel data, enhancing the potential of analyses. Further, we use Autoencoder Neural Networks to compress complex data thus reducing unwanted noise. The talk will focus on how we have applied this toolbox to augment EEG datasets in the context of reinforcement learning tasks, rather than the technical details of how these algorithms work. Although our examples focus on EEG data, the toolbox can be applied to any form of multi-variate data, whether it be neural or behavioral. If there is interest, I can also provide a quick hands-on experience with our user-friendly interface.

Jordana Wynn, Ph.D
Assistant Professor

Pronouns: She/ Her

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.