[CaBSSem] Cognition and Brain Sciences Seminar: Fri Oct 20 @3pm, Michi Matsukura

Jordana Wynn jordwynn at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 16 10:46:43 PDT 2023

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) next meets this Friday at 3:00pm in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) featuring Dr. Michi Matsukura from Western Washington University speaking on "Examining Attentional Control Mechanisms: An Interdisciplinary Look" (abstract below).

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream sessions at

https://uvic.zoom.us/j/81257812980?pwd=VndFY3hueDA2cWl0SXljK0ZSYVhxdz09

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://www.wynnlab.org/cabssem

Hope to see you Friday!

Examining Attentional Control Mechanisms: An Interdisciplinary Look

Because our visual system cannot process all incoming inputs in the world, attention enables us to select and process the inputs relevant to our goal, while filtering out other irrelevant inputs. My lab investigates how attention facilitates visual information processing in two contexts: (a) when these inputs remain in the visual field (during perceptual processing), and (b) when these inputs disappear from the visual field and no longer available for perceptual processing (during memory maintenance). Because I believe that the ultimate goal of conducting basic research is to apply that knowledge to solve real-world problems, recent lines of research have expanded to examine possible attentional selection mechanisms in evaluating the forms of data visualization before one makes a decision. Yet, the path to become able to discern what constitutes strong (fundable) interdisciplinary research has not been easy. That is, having been trained in “very” basic vision research environments during both pre- and post-doctoral training years, it was very difficult for me to understand the benefit of interdisciplinary research. Yet again, in this time and era, it is nearly impossible to secure federal funding without proposing something interdisciplinary. I wish I had an opportunity to ponder these issues during my training, but no such opportunities arose. Along with my experience of having served for a particular federal grant review panel full term, I plan to present my view on the benefit of conducting interdisciplinary research with some of my past and on-going work. Despite differences in Canadian and US funding mechanisms, I hope that this presentation will serve as an opportunity to start thinking of relevant issues.

Jordana Wynn, Ph.D
Assistant Professor

Pronouns: She/ Her

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.