[CaBSSem] REMINDER: Cognition and Brain Sciences Seminar: TODAY @3pm, Jim Tanaka

Jordana Wynn jordwynn at uvic.ca
Fri Sep 22 09:39:39 PDT 2023

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) next meets today at 3:00 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) featuring Dr. Jim Tanaka (UVic) speaking on "Faces and bodies in person perception" (abstract below).

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream sessions at

<https://uvic.zoom.us/j/89178547810?pwd=TnZsQlZRQmZLRUljYWtuYnhuS2NPQT09>https://uvic.zoom.us/j/81257812980?pwd=VndFY3hueDA2cWl0SXljK0ZSYVhxdz09

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://www.wynnlab.org/cabssem

Hope to see you this afternoon!

Faces and bodies in person perception

When we see a colleague approaching us in the hallway, we immediately recognize them based on a variety of identity cues involving their face (e.g., facial contour, internal features) and body (e.g., height, weight, posture, gait). What is less clear is whether diagnostic cues about a person’s face and body are processed independently or combined at the perceptual or decision stage of processing.  In the current study, we employed a composite paradigm to test whether participants can selectively attend to the face or body information.  For this task, participants are shown two sequentially composite face-body stimuli and are cued to attend to the face while ignoring body (Experiment 1) or cued to attend to the body while ignoring face (Experiment 2). In both experiments, we found a congruency effect where participants’ “same/different” discriminations of the cued, to-be-attended face (or body) target stimulus were influenced by the to-be-ignored uncued body (or face) stimulus. The magnitude of the congruency increased with the discrimination difficulty; suggesting as discrimination becomes more difficult, task-irrelevant information exerts a stronger bias on perceptual judgments.  Critically, the spatial alignment manipulations between the face and body did not affect the congruency effect indicating that the whole person effect arises at the decisional stage of processing rather than the perceptual holistic stage. Together, our results indicate that person perception is a “whole person” process that obligatorily incorporates face and body information.

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) next meets this Friday at 3:00 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) featuring Dr. Jim Tanaka (UVic) speaking on "Faces and bodies in person perception" (abstract below).

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream sessions at

<https://uvic.zoom.us/j/89178547810?pwd=TnZsQlZRQmZLRUljYWtuYnhuS2NPQT09>https://uvic.zoom.us/j/81257812980?pwd=VndFY3hueDA2cWl0SXljK0ZSYVhxdz09

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://www.wynnlab.org/cabssem

Hope to see you Friday!

[...]

Jordana Wynn, Ph.D
Assistant Professor

Pronouns: She/ Her

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory the university stands and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.