[CaBSSem] CaBSSem Friday at 3:00 in the Reading Room in COR A228

Steve Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Mon Jun 12 15:19:59 PDT 2023

Prof. Rene Zeelenberg (Erasumus University, Rotterdam) will speak on Mental Simulation in Non-Native Speakers During Language Comprehension.  All welcome.

If you want me to run a Zoom option, please let me know.

In a sentence-picture verification task, pictures of objects are verified faster when they match the orientation, shape, and color implied by the preceding sentence. This suggests that people mentally simulate these visual characteristics during language comprehension. Whereas the results of studies with native speakers have been largely consistent, studies with non-native speakers have provided inconsistent results. I will discuss recent experiments from our lab that provide evidence for mental simulation in non-native speakers.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair
https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/

Pronouns: He/him