[CaBSSem] Bonus CaBSSem Friday 16 June at 3:00 Rene Zeelenberg Mental Simulation in Non-Native Speakers During Language Comprehension

Steve Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Tue May 30 09:42:23 PDT 2023

Cornett A228 or via Zoom

Mental Simulation in Non-Native Speakers During Language Comprehension

In a sentence-picture verification task, pictures of objects are verified faster when they match the orientation, shape, and color implied by the preceding sentence. This suggests that people mentally simulate these visual characteristics during language comprehension. Whereas the results of studies with native speakers have been largely consistent, studies with non-native speakers have provided inconsistent results. I will discuss recent experiments from our lab that provide evidence for mental simulation in non-native speakers.

Join Zoom Meeting<https://uvic.zoom.us/j/86049354544?pwd=dFpFZUhPQmE1RlZFdTd5WjkxYzI1dz09>

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair
https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/