[CaBSSem] CaBSSem by Majd Zahia Hawily, "Recognition Memory Response Bias: Materials and Cultures" from 3pm Friday 31 March

Steve Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Sat Mar 25 10:49:24 PDT 2023

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) meets this coming Friday from 3:00 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) featuring our own Majd Zahia Hawily speaking on Recognition Memory Response Bias: Materials and Cultures.

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream sessions at
https://uvic.zoom.us/j/89178547810?pwd=TnZsQlZRQmZLRUljYWtuYnhuS2NPQT09

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://oac.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/open-science/ .

Hope to see you Friday.

Abstract
In recognition memory tests, subjects may demonstrate liberal, conservative, or no response biases based on the principles of signal detection theory. Across several studies, we found that subjects showed a clear conservative bias when presented with complex images (e.g., paintings, photographs of scenes) as stimuli. When stimuli were English words, bias tended to be liberal or neutral. The reasons for these materials-based differences in response bias remain ambiguous. Here we will discuss our ongoing efforts to better understand response bias variation across materials and individuals. Specifically, we aim to explore whether Canadian, Japanese, and Lebanese participants show differences in response bias for new materials "The diffeomorphs".  With that, we test the generality of the materials based bias effect into other cultures.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair
https://oac.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/
Pronouns: He/him