[CaBSSem] Prof. Jodie Gawryluk

Steve Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Fri Mar 24 13:48:30 PDT 2023

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) meets today from 3:00 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) featuring our own Professor Jodie Gawryluk speaking on "Earlier Detection of Alzheimer's Disease: A focus on Subjective Cognitive Decline."  (abstract below)

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream sessions at
https://uvic.zoom.us/j/89178547810?pwd=TnZsQlZRQmZLRUljYWtuYnhuS2NPQT09

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://oac.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/open-science/ .

Be part of our intellectual community!

There are currently an estimated 500,000 Canadians living with Alzheimer's disease (AD), an incurable neurodegenerative disorder that is characterized by memory impairment with possible disturbance of other cognitive domains. Prevalence of AD is expected to increase dramatically with the aging population; current annual health care costs in Canada are $10.4 billion and the economic burden is expected to rise to $293 billion by 2040. Given that the current treatments for AD aim to prevent symptom progression, it is of utmost importance that emerging research focus on pre-clinical biological markers. Recently, increasing attention has focused on individuals with subjective cognitive decline (SCD); healthy older adults who nevertheless present with significant self- and/or informant-reports of cognitive decline, despite performing within normal limits on clinical neuropsychological testing. People with SCD are at risk of progression to measurable cognitive decline, including dementia, but are early on in this trajectory. I will present recent research from our team showing that objective, physiologically-based neuroimaging measures have potential to differentiate individuals with SCD from healthy controls.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair
https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/

Pronouns: He/him