[CaBSSem] CaBSSem this Friday: Hee Yeon Im (UBC): Perception, attention, and action in the human brain.

Stephen Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Mon Nov 14 11:10:47 PST 2022

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) this Friday from 2:30 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) features Assistant Professor Hee Yeon Im (UBC) speaking on "Perception, attention, and action in the human brain: functional organization, dynamics, and development."

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream the sessions at

https://uvic.zoom.us/j/84838166840?pwd=YndMWWFNUlllV0FuQjVnMndPMUpyZz09

Meeting ID: 848 3816 6840  Password: 982785

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://oac.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/open-science/ .   If you would like to host a session of cabssem please email me.  Dates assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.

Hope to see you Friday

Abstract:
Precisely timed integration of perceptual, cognitive, and motor processes is a fundamental ability for all successful behaviours in everyday life. Interactions between perceptual and cognitive processes and motor behaviours are bidirectional. Motor skills require continuous control in response to sensory feedback: We learn to ride a bike without falling by constantly querying visual and proprioceptive information. Perceptual representation and attentional allocation are also shaped by action goals: We tend to be highly sensitive and responsive to angry faces because they naturally trigger an avoidant action linked to our behavioural motivation to keep away from danger. In this talk, I will overview my research program investigating the spatial and temporal structure of the brain mechanisms underlying the dynamic processes whereby perception guides motor commands and action shapes perceptual representations. I will also discuss the crucial role of attention in modulating the perception-action coupling to keep it active, timely, goal-driven, and context-dependent.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair
https://oac.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/
Pronouns: He/him