[CaBSSem] CaBSSem today on problematique of error bars

Stephen Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Fri Oct 28 09:07:17 PDT 2022

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) today from 2:30 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) features our own David Medler:  "You Keep Using That Word.* I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means."

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream the sessions at

https://uvic.zoom.us/j/84838166840?pwd=YndMWWFNUlllV0FuQjVnMndPMUpyZz09

Meeting ID: 848 3816 6840  Password: 982785

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/open-science/ .   If you would like to host a session of cabssem please email me.  Dates assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.

Hope to see you Friday

ABSTRACT:  With many apologies to Inigo Montoya, Vizzini, and the Dread Pirate Roberts (and therefore carrying forward a theme in CaBSSem), I would like to address the "inconceivable" notion of presenting the standard error* with sample means, and consequently the use of standard errors bars on graphical representations of data. What does the standard error (bar) mean in relation to the sample?  Furthermore, how does this relate to confidence intervals? To be honest, I am confused, and feel that I am up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.  I am looking forward to a hearty discussion to get beyond the impasse.
[r/funny - The Inconceivables]

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair

Pronouns: He/him