[CaBSSem] CaBSSem: New Faculty Member Jordana Wynn from 2:30 this Friday on Eye Movements Support Active Memory Retrieval

Stephen Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 17 13:32:09 PDT 2022

The Cognition and Brain Science Seminar (CaBSSem) today from 2:30 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) features one of our newest faculty members, Dr. Jordana Wynn, speaking on Eye Movements Support Active Memory Retrieval.

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream the sessions at
https://uvic.zoom.us/j/84838166840?pwd=YndMWWFNUlllV0FuQjVnMndPMUpyZz09
Meeting ID: 848 3816 6840  Password: 982785
For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/open-science/  .   If you would like to host a session of cabssem please email me.  Dates assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.

Hope to see you Friday.

Abstract:

Research indicates that overt visual attention (i.e., eye movements) and memory are intimately linked. Yet, most research to date has only considered eye movements as a byproduct of attention and memory processes. In my talk, I will provide evidence that beyond reflecting these processes, eye movements play an active and functional role in memory retrieval. First, I will demonstrate that eye movements during retrieval reinstate eye movements executed during encoding and that this pattern of gaze reinstatement predicts mnemonic performance. Next, I will show that the relationship between gaze reinstatement and mnemonic performance is modulated by both memory integrity (e.g., as indexed by age) and task demands (e.g., cognitive load). Finally, I will discuss how gaze reinstatement supports imagination of future scene and event scenarios. Together, this work advances a critical role for eye movements in memory retrieval and related processes like imagining the future.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair

Pronouns: He/him