[CaBSSem] No CaBSSem this Friday; Tarek Amer Friday of next week

Stephen Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Thu Oct 6 16:15:48 PDT 2022

Greetings. Apologies but for various reasons (mostly having to do with errors on my part) there will be no CaBSSem this Friday.  May you all have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

NEXT week, Friday 14 Oct from 2:30 in the Psychology Reading Room (Cornett A228) will feature new CABS faculty member Dr. Tarek Amer speaking on "Reduced Cognitive Control Shapes Cognition with Old Age." (Abstract below.)

Many attend FTF, but we also livestream the sessions at
https://uvic.zoom.us/j/84838166840?pwd=YndMWWFNUlllV0FuQjVnMndPMUpyZz09
Meeting ID: 848 3816 6840  Password: 982785

For students/faculty at UVic, best practice is to launch the Zoom app and then click "Sign in with SSO" so that you access the call from the UVic Zoom.

Schedule at https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/wp-content/uploads/sites/4861/2022/08/Schedule-for-UVic-PSYC-577-Winter-2022.pdf    If you would like to host a session of cabssem please email me.  Dates assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.

Abstract:  Cognitive control, or the ability to selectively focus attention on task-relevant information, while simultaneously ignoring task-irrelevant information, has been shown to be reduced with old age. While most research has focused on how reduced control negatively impacts task performance, my work is aimed at understanding how the relationship between reduced control and performance in older adults is context dependent. In particular, my work examines how reduced cognitive control impacts the type of information that is encoded and retained in memory, and the surprising benefits this can have for older adults. In this talk, I will present evidence that reduced control in older adults is (a) associated with enhanced memory for irrelevant information that can boost performance on future tasks, (b) characterized by reduced regulation of the default mode network (DMN; a set of brain regions that are involved in internally directed cognition and are typically suppressed during externally oriented tasks), and (c) can support memory for information that draws on prior knowledge and engages the DMN.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair

Pronouns: He/him