[CaBSSem] CaBSSem this Friday at 4: Jordana Wynn

Stephen Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Mon Sep 19 12:57:56 PDT 2022

Due to the Meet the Department event Friday 23 Sept from 3 to 4 in Cornett A, CaBSSem will start shortly after 4 this week.  Location Cornett A228 (Reading Room).  New faculty member Jordana Wynn will speak on "Effects of Prior Knowledge on Perception in Older Adults" (see below for abstract).

I am hoping that many will attend FTF, but we will also livestream the sessions at

https://uvic.zoom.us/j/84838166840?pwd=YndMWWFNUlllV0FuQjVnMndPMUpyZz09

Meeting ID: 848 3816 6840

Password: 982785

The schedule is still mostly open after September:  See https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/wp-content/uploads/sites/4861/2022/08/Schedule-for-UVic-PSYC-577-Winter-2022.pdf   If you would like to host a session of CaBSSem (or recommend someone else as host), please email me.  Dates are assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.

Abstract:  Research indicates that while episodic memory declines with age, semantic memory is relatively preserved. When older adults can utilize their prior knowledge, age differences in memory are attenuated, and in some cases, even abolished. In this talk, I will discuss how older adults' over-reliance on prior knowledge impacts not only their memory, but also how they see the world. I will also propose a new study investigating the effects of prior knowledge on visual perception in older adults. Specifically, the study will examine whether prior knowledge attenuates age differences in perceptual sensitivity by manipulating target-scene congruency during a target detection task.

Regards,

Steve

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair