[CaBSSem] CaBSSem Friday 16 September

Stephen Lindsay slindsay at uvic.ca
Wed Sep 14 11:40:37 PDT 2022

Last Friday, our opening session (Dr. Caitlin Mahy speaking on procrastination in children) was terrific.  So fun to be in the room with other people, digging into the challenges of operationalizing procrastination.

Up next, another visitor:   Zoë Francis (U of Fraser Valley) speaking on Forecasted After-Effects: Expecting Tasks to Help or Hurt Subsequent Cognitive Performance. (Abstract below.)

I am hoping that many will attend FTF, but we will also livestream the sessions at
https://uvic.zoom.us/j/84838166840?pwd=YndMWWFNUlllV0FuQjVnMndPMUpyZz09
Meeting ID: 848 3816 6840
Password: 982785

The schedule is still mostly blank after September:  See https://onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/lindsaylab/wp-content/uploads/sites/4861/2022/08/Schedule-for-UVic-PSYC-577-Winter-2022.pdf   If you would like to host a session of CaBSSem, please email me.  Dates are assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.

Forecasted After-Effects: Expecting Tasks to Help or Hurt Subsequent Cognitive Performance After-effects on cognition-where a prior activity benefits or hinders subsequent cognitive performance-are empirically inconsistent, at best. Do people have insight into when (or if) their subjective energy and cognitive performance will be helped or hurt by engaging in prior activities? Across studies, people expect more demanding and unenjoyable tasks to hinder their subsequent performance and energy. Using a within-subject design, participants' forecasts of their future subjective states did predict their experienced subjective states, but participants were not able to accurately forecast their subsequent performance on a math exam. They also significantly overestimated the detrimental effects of demanding prior activities on both subjective state and performance, suggesting that after-effect forecasts are subject to impact biases. A study of economic decisions further found that these biased forecasts can result in unnecessary financial costs.

D. Stephen Lindsay, Ph.D
Professor and Chair

Pronouns: He/him