[CaBSSem] CABS Seminar Friday Jan 18 3:30-5:00: Farouk Nathoo (COR A228)

Clay Holroyd holroyd at uvic.ca
Mon Jan 14 11:42:11 PST 2019

This Friday the Department of Psychology Cognition and Brain Sciences Program features a talk by Dr. Farouk Nathoo, from the Department of Math and Statistics (UVic). Professor Nathoo's talk is titled: "Connectome Genetics in the Default Mode Network using Dynamic Causal Modelling of Resting-State fMRI."

"We conduct an imaging genetics study of the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative based on resting-state fMRI (rs-fMRI) and genetic data obtained from 112 subjects, where each subject is classified as either cognitively normal (CN), as having mild cognitive impairment (MCI), or as having Alzheimer's Disease (AD). A Dynamic Causal Model (DCM; Li et al., 2011; Friston et al., 2014; Razi et al., 2015), a state-space model for coupled neuronal fluctuations, is fit to the rs-fMRI time series in order to estimate a directed network representing effective brain connectivity within the default mode network (DMN), a key network commonly known to be active when the brain is at rest. We consider four important regions of the DMN, and use DCM to estimate a 16-parameter graph representing effective connectivity. These graphs are then related to genetic data and disease in four analyses that: (i) examine differences in effective connectivity networks across disease groups; (ii) relate the probability of disease to genetics; (iii) investigate how effective brain connectivity in the DMN is related to genetics; (iv) examine longitudinal data on the changes to cognitive impairment in order to determine how well disease progression can be predicted from the combination of brain connectivity networks and genetic data. Our four studies together lead to a novel pipeline for connectome genetics data analysis and motivate a number of future studies in this nascent area. The talk will have a strong focus on statistical methods used in our analyses and will also include a technical review of DCM."

Seminar to be held on Friday Jan 18, 3:30-5:00, in COR A228 (the Reading Room; note the later starting time this semester). Everyone is welcome to attend. Arrive early to ensure a seat!

The seminar schedule can be found here:
http://www.uvic.ca/socialsciences/psychology/graduate/brain-sciences/cabssem/

Clay Holroyd
Seminar Coordinator​